ISLAMABAD, July 19 (Xinhua) -- Pakistan summoned Indian deputy high commissioner and lodged formal protest on Wednesday over the recent ceasefire violations, resulting in the killing of two civilians and injuring six others.
The director general South Asian at the Foreign Ministry, who summoned the Indian deputy high commissioner, condemned the "unprovoked ceasefire violations" by the Indian occupation forces in Baroh and Tandar Sectors along the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir region on Tuesday, the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
Two people, including one woman in Barho Sector and a man in Tandar Sector, were killed, the statement said.
"The deliberate targeting of civilians is indeed deplorable and contrary to human dignity and international human rights and humanitarian laws," the Pakistani official told the Indian envoy.
The director general also urged the Indian side to respect the 2003 Ceasefire arrangement, investigate this and other incidents of ceasefire violations, and instruct the Indian forces to respect the ceasefire, in letter and spirit and maintain peace on the LoC.
He said the Indian side should permit UN Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan to play its mandated role as per the UN Security Council resolutions.
Pakistan military spokesman Major General Asif Ghafoor told media on Sunday that Indian forces have committed 580 ceasefire violations so far this year, which he described as the "highest in any year."
Pakistan and India had declared ceasefire along the LoC, the de facto border, between the two nuclear rivals in Kashmir in 2003. However, both sides routinely accuse each other of ceasefire violations.