WELLINGTON, April 5 (Xinhua) -- The New Zealand government on Wednesday condemned a chemical weapons attack that killed dozens of people in the northwest of Syria.
Foreign Minister Murray McCully called on the United Nations Security Council to take action over the bombing in order to avert further such attacks.
"I was appalled to learn of another attack in an area where chemical weapons have previously been used," McCully said in a statement.
"Our thoughts and sympathies are with the victims of this barbaric attack, which is especially horrific for the number of children killed and injured," said McCully.
"We join others in calling for a full investigation into the atrocity and for the perpetrators to be held to account," he said.
"This adds yet another sad chapter to the ongoing humanitarian catastrophe in Syria."
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said Tuesday warplanes launched intensive airstrikes on the rebel-held town of Khan Sheikhoun in Idlib, killing 58 people, mostly civilians.
The Syrian opposition accused the Syrian Air Force of being behind the attack.
The Syrian army categorically denied launching such a toxic attack.
The Syrian army said the accusations against it were completely baseless as it had not used, nor would use such weapons in the future. It held "terrorist groups" responsible for using chemicalweapons.